Wink 2 Hub Review
If your home automation is straightforward and you can't imagine using a hub without Bluetooth, the Wink 2 is a great network hub. The app and setting up devices is a far more user-friendly experience than that of our advanced pick, SmartThings.
If you don't need deep routine customization or a battery backup, we recommend the Wink 2 for its ease of use and cross-compatibility.
This hub connects via WiFi or ethernet and supports Bluetooth Low Energy, WiFi, Kidde, Lutron Clear Connect, Z-Wave, ZigBee, and Thread (Nest) devices. It also supports Amazon Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, and Sonos speakers. It officially supports dozens of popular products, but can support many others that use the networks listed above.
- Setup is a breeze. The Wink app (Android and iOS) is easy on the eyes and loaded with visualizations that guide you through pairing devices.
- Wink can support WiFi and Bluetooth devices. Its major competitor is Samsung's SmartThings which currently can't support either.
- You can connect up to 530 devices to this hub and you can add additional Wink hubs to your network.
- This hub works on ethernet or WiFi. If you have strong WiFi, this gives you more freedom of placement, but you can also use the more reliable ethernet connection.
What Could Be Better
- This hub doesn't have a battery backup, so if you lose power, your routines and smart security devices won't function.
- You won't have complex control over your smart devices. Wink's app functions as a controller (putting all your devices in one app) or uses logic-based (if this, then that) automation. This style of automation provides limited access to devices' full functionality and as a result limited command customization.
Warranty & Customer Support
This hub is covered under a one-year warranty and Wink offers responsive, helpful customer support.