iProvèn BBT-113Ai Thermometer Review
If someone tries to sell you a basal body thermometer (BBT) that only measures your temperature to a tenth of a degree, don't trust them. iProvèn impressed us again with their BBT-113Ai which takes temperatures to two decimal points. We recommend this option for anyone who wants to chart their basal temperatures for family planning purposes.
How Does It Work?
In the wee hours of the morning, you turn on the thermometer and place it in your preferred testing position. After at least one minute, you'll hear four beeps notifying you that the measurement is complete. This measurement is considered a constant temperature and is determined by the temperature rising less than 0.1°C within 16 seconds. Record the temperature.
If you want to use this as a fever thermometer, you can, but it will take 1–2 minutes to get a reading.
- The temperatures are recorded to 1/100 of a degree, which is ideal for tracking when you ovulate. The more detailed the reading is, the better you'll be able to understand your cycle.
- It takes up to two minutes to record a stable temperature. The longer read time ensures accuracy by allowing the sensors to adjust to the body's temperature.
- You can recall the last temperature if it's too dark or in the morning or you forget to write it down.
- Soft beeps notify you about a reading so you don't have to time it.
What Could Be Better
- The screen isn't backlit which makes reading temperatures in the dark challenging. Another iProvèn model with a backlight and a few of its competitors caught our eye. The backlit iProvèn BBT-113i came the closest in overall quality, but the thermometer is too new to the market for us to assess its long term value. The light itself is strobe-like while in use (discos at dawn, anyone?). If a backlight is a must-have for you, buy the BBT-113i here.
- The thermometer's tip isn't flexible and is a bit slippery since it's made of plastic, not silicone. Women who prefer to record their basal body temperature vaginally or rectally may find this uncomfortable.
Warranty and Customer Service
iProvèn's great customer service and "hassle-free" 100-day return policy make it easy to take this thermometer for a whirl. Since you'll be using more often than you would a fever thermometer, you'll know pretty quickly whether this is your Goldilocks BBT.
Most of the time, you don't have to ship the product back in order to get a refund, as long as you can confirm your order. You can also register the thermometer to add another year to its standard one year warranty, regardless of where you bought it.