Das Keyboard 4 Professional Review
If you want a great keyboard, look no further. The Das Keyboard 4 Professional comes in three modes: Windows, Mac, and Ultimate (blank keycaps). We recommend this keyboard for the typing experience it provides, its customization options, and design.
Membrane or Mechanical Keyboard
This Das keyboard is mechanical and you can choose to have clicky or tactile switches underneath the keycaps. Clicky switches (Cherry MX Blues, in this case) offer the most auditory and physical feedback. Tactile switches (Cherry MX Browns) aren't as loud and focus more on physical key feedback. We recommend the tactile keyboard if you're not used to mechanical keyboards.
- There are three versions: Mac, Windows, and Ultimate. The Mac and Windows keyboards have keys specific to their operating systems while the Ultimate is completely blank. The Ultimate version is a great way to take the training wheels off your typing or use a different operating system (Linux, Chrome, etc.). If you want a Mac-specific mechanical keyboard with a softer design, we also recommend the Lofree Four Seasons Keyboard.
- It uses Cherry MX switches. The Brown (tactile) version is louder than most laptop keyboards, but quieter than the Blue version which is a clicky (re: loud) acquired taste generally used by typists.
- It has a volume dial and dedicated media keys for quick, easy control of whatever you're watching or listening to.
- It uses USB 3.0 ports for faster data transfer than its 2.0 counterparts.
- The design is sleek and attractive, making it a nice desk peripheral accessory.
What Could Be Better
- The footbar, a magnetic, detachable bar that elevates the keyboard, is flimsy and lacks rubber grips to stabilize the keyboard when it's raised. On the plus side(?), the footbar is also a ruler.
- It doesn't come with a keyboard wrist pad/palm rest.
- The keyboard isn't backlit. If you really need a backlight, we also recommend WASD's CODE Keyboard. It has a little less flair and also lacks a wrist pad, but it's another great mechanical keyboard.
- It's a pricey keyboard, but it will give you years of use, offers a superior typing experience, and looks great on your desk!
Warranty and Customer Support
Das offers a three-year limited warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee. The Das customer support team is on the slow side and there's a disparity to how helpful they are, but they handle in-warranty replacements well.