Azio MK Retro Keyboard Review
Let's bring this blast from the past into the future! Typewriter-like keyboards are plentiful, but the Azio MK Retro does the best job without hurting your wallet too much. We recommend this keyboard for its looks, it brains (mechanical switches), and its cost.
If you have a little more to spend, Azio makes an upgraded version of the Retro in a wired and wireless version. The Azio Retro Classic Keyboards offer Azio switches, leather top plates, and a backlight, plus the wireless version allows you to swap Windows keycaps for Mac ones.
If you have a lot more to spend and want a bit more steampunk in your life, Datamancer will send you some functional art. The Diviner is their least expensive keyboard, but verified users of their keyboards have no complaints.
Membrane or Mechanical Keyboard?
This is a mechanical keyboard that uses Cherry MX Blue switches to give you that clicky, typewriter-like experience.
- The keys are designed to look like those on a typewriter and create a full keyboard layout.
- It's officially designed for use with Windows, but Mac users report full functionality and the Windows key becomes the command key.
- The number, caps, scroll, and windows locks have little indicator lights at the top right of the keyboard.
- The keyboard has full key rollover so you can press multiple keys at once and be sure that your complex command will go through.
- Directly from Azio, you can get this keyboard in seven different color configurations.
What Could Be Better
- The keys aren't backlit, but users who usually like clicky keys are touch typists.
- The keys are oil magnets, but each keyboard comes with a cleaning cloth.
- The feet don't adjust very much, making the keyboard almost flat. People accustomed to typing on laptops probably won't find the angle to be an issue.
Warranty and Customer Support
Customer support for Azio can be on the slow side, but their team is ultimately helpful. Azio will offer refunds within 30 days of purchase and also has a two-year limited warranty for this keyboard.